Polishing the Pulpit For building sermons today
"There are many qualities that should be expected of a preacher, but it should also be remembered that he is "human" and subject to frailties like every one else. However, this list taken from I & II Timothy and Titus gives us a clear insight into what ought to be expected of him as a person as well as a preacher." -- Ed
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT
(Here is a list of 9 questions to ask "yourself" as a preacher:)
1. Do I possess a: "Pure heart, good conscience, and sincere faith?" (I Tim. 1:5)
2. Am I spending the time necessary to be: "Nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine?" (I Tim 4:6)
3. Am I truly an: "Example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, and in purity?" (I Tim. 4:12)
4. Do I
understand that as a preacher I: "Must not quarrel, but be gentle
to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in
5. Can I honestly say that I am: "A pattern of good works, in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility?" (Titus 2:7)
6. When I speak are my words: "Sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of me?" (Titus 2:8)
7. Do I
make every effort to: "Deny ungodliness, worldly lusts, live
soberly, righteously, and godly in this present age?"
8. Do I: "Look for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and savior Jesus Christ?" (2 Tim. 2:13)
9. Am I known to be one who: "Speaks evil of no one, peaceable, showing all humility to all men?" (2 Tim. 3:2)
Those nine scriptural qualities should be incorporated into every Christian's life but especially the preacher. Are you personally practicing these qualities as a preacher? Let me suggest that you write each of these on an index card and each day for 9 or more days look at a different card as you begin each day or better yet, take one card a week and really try to incorporate it into your life.
WANT TO KNOW MORE
Here are 31 passages that define what a preacher does. Consider your own life and ministry and ask yourself if you are measuring up.
A PREACHER IS:
1. A TEACHER OF TEACHERS: ("charge some that they teach no other doctrine" I Tim. 1:3)
SOLDIER IN BATTLE: ("wage a good warfare"
3. A MAN
OF PRAYER FOR ALL: ("make supplications, prayer, intercessions and
giving of thanks for all men..."
4. A BROTHERHOOD INSTRUCTOR: ("instruct the brethren in all things..." I Tim. 4:6 Cf., 2 Tim 2:14, Titus 2:2,6)
5. AN ATHLETE IN GODLINESS: ("exercise yourself rather to godliness" I Tim. 4:7)
6. AN EXAMPLE TO OTHERS: ("be an example..." I Tim. 4:13)
STUDENT OF BOOKS, PEOPLE, SCRIPTURES: ("give attention to reading,
8. A MAN OF OBVIOUS DEVOTION: ("meditate on these things, give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all." I Tim. 4:15, cf., I Tim. 4:16)
9. A DIPLOMAT WITH PEOPLE: ("exhort older men.... treat younger men as brothers... older women as mothers... younger sisters with all purity." I Tim. 5:1-2)
10. A WIDOWS RELIANCE: ("honor widows who are really widows" I Tim. 5:3)
DEFENDER OF ELDERS: ("do not receive an accusation against an elder
12. A CONSCIENCE FOR ELDERS: ("those sinning rebuke" I Tim. 5:20)
13. A MAN ABOVE PREJUDICE AND PARTIALITY: ("observe these things without prejudice and partiality" I Tim. 5:20)
14. A NON-COMPANION OF EVIL MEN: ("withdraw yourself from anyone who teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words of Jesus and doctrine" I Tim. 6:5, cf., Titus 3:10, 2 Tim. 3:1-5)
FOLLOWER OF RIGHT THINGS: ("pursue righteousness, godliness, faith,
love, patience, gentleness"
FIGHTER FOR THE FAITH: ("fight the good fight of faith"
17. AN ADVOCATE FOR THE POOR: ("command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor trust in uncertain riches but in the living God... let them do good... ready to give, willing to share" I Tim. 6:17-18 cf., Titus 3:14)
18 A GUARDIAN OF TRUTH: ("guard what was committed to your trust" I Tim. 6:20)
19. A MAN
OF BOLDNESS: ("do not be ashamed of the testimony of our
20 A MAN
OF STRENGTH IN GRACE: ("be strong in the grace that is in Christ
PREACHER TRAINER: ("things heard of me [Paul] commit to faithful
men who will be able to teach others also"
22. A TOUGH SOLDIER: ("endure hardships as a good soldier" 2 Tim. 2:3)
23. A NON-DISTRACTED MAN: ("no one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life" 2 Tim 2:4)
24. A MAN WHO SEEKS TO MEET GOD'S APPROVAL: ("be diligent to present yourself approved unto God." 2 Tim. 2:15)
25. AN UNASHAMED WORKER: ("a worker who does not need to be ashamed..." 2 Tim 2:15)
26. A MAN
CAREFUL IN HIS SPEECH: ("shun profane and vain babblings" 2
Tim 2:16; "speak the things which are proper for sound
27. AN AVOIDER OF FOOLISH DISPUTES: ("avoid foolish and ignorant disputes" 2 Tim. 2:23 cf., Titus 3:9)
PREACHER OF THE WORD: ("preach the word"
29. AN ORGANIZER OF THINGS LACKING: ("set in order the things that are lacking and appoint elders in every city" Titus 1:5)
30. A PATTERN OF GOOD WORKS: ("in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works" Titus 2:7)
31. AN ADVOCATE OF RULERS: ("remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey...." Titus 3:1)
Best wishes to you in your ministry. If I can be of help send me an email. -- Ed
©2003 Thomason Enterprises